The Home Energy Saver is a government-funded website developed by Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. As such, we are unable to recommend or endorse specific products or service providers. However, the links below will help you find the answers you need. Before proceeding, have you tried our Frequently Asked Questions page? If your don't find your answer there, try these options:
- Help using this site — Visit our User-guide
- Known Issues
- Reopened an old session, reran it, and the results changed — This is likely because we fixed a bug or updated our default values since the time of your original run. Historical changes to the site are logged here.
- Work-arounds — we offer tips for modeling features or systems that we don't explicitly cover.
- Run errors — Input combinations that are known to cause errors include entering a window area on a side of the house that is larger than the opaque wall on that side (excluding doors and garage), entering non-rectangular house dimensions that are physically not possible, or entering a thermostat start time that is not at least one hour after the previous period.
- Questions about energy efficiency — Many State Energy Offices provide locally-relevant intformation. Visit our COMMUNITY module for lots of useful information.
- Product recommendations — ENERGY STAR website for lists of efficient products (including specific names and model numbers).
- Questions for your utility — Many utilities link to our site, but you need to contact them directly with questions about your service. Many of energy/electric cooperatives across the country also offer energy efficiency programs
- Find financial incentives such as tax credits and rebate programs — Energy Savers maintains a good list.
- Calculate savings in your home — We cannot make customized analyses for you, but the Home Energy Saver will let you evaluate a huge variety of options.
- Why your calculated results may not match your utility bill — List of possible reasons.
- Want information on the technical assumptions and methods behind the site? — Documentation on appliances, heating/cooling methods, and the tariff analysis methods is all available here.
Collaborating with us:
- Do you want to link to the site? — You are welcome to do so; written permission not required.
- Are you an educator seeking to use the site in your classroom? — Energized Learning site with classroom exercises.
- Are you a private software developer seeking to utilize our technology or data? — See the licensing information..
Don't see what you need? Problems with the site? Feature requests? Praise? Let us know.